This content is designed to help address issues associated with supervision of workers who are engaged in excavation and trenching activities such as worksite preparation, personal protective equipment and collapse prevention. For more information visit osha.gov or download the PDF.
- Acquire alignment sheets and/or proper drawings to adequately locate excavation location.
- Ensure there is an appropriate Emergency Action Plan to protect employees in case of fires, electrical storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. Ensure that your plan is site specific for each job and that it is well communicated to employees.
- Ensure there is a Trenching and Excavation Program in place and that it is well communicated to employees.
- Ensure there is a Confined Space Program in place and that it is well communicated to employees if applicable to work being preformed.
- Verify that the one call (811) has been made and that utilities are marked and depth verified before the commencement of digging activities.
- Ensure high visibility markings of all foreign underground crossing and structures are completed.
- Verify all overhead lines are identified and marked.
- Ensure availability of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) for the tasks being preformed and as required per OSHA regulations.
- Ensure a Competent person has been appointed.
- Ensure policies and procedures will be followed when excavating across foreign utilities and other underground structures.
- Ensure that the competent person is available while any trenching/excavation work is being performed.
- Ensure that benching, sloping, and shoring practices are followed when necessary.
- Ensure proper protection and support of existing utilities and structures.
- Ensure that all open excavations are barricaded at the end of the work day.
- Ensure that prior to backfilling all equipment, materials, or other debris generated in the process of work activities have been removed from area.
At Ron Meyer & Associate Excavating, Inc, we’ve been providing underground and commercial construction to private and commercial businesses for 39 years. As the general contractor or subcontractor, our experienced foremen, equipment operators, pipe layers, truck drivers and well-maintained equipment fleet make us an undeniable choice for your excavating services. Let’s talk about your project!